Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Thank You

There are very few people, especially men, who have no ulterior motives but are honest, honourable incredible beings. And I have been very fortunate to have known such a person.

At first I didn’t understand him. His ways were strange. I don’t mean in a creepy way. In fact, he was one of the most charismatic people you would ever know. Everyone loved him. He was funny, thoughtful, confident, caring, intelligent, honest…He was the kind of guy who everyone thought was his or her best friend. He still is all of that.

But what I did not get was the way he treated women. And I will tell you why I found it strange. That’s because he did things that are so hard to find in men now days. The kind of things that men all over the world should be doing. He did things that we don’t ever think about. The kind of things that would humanize our differences rather estrange us.

The things he did for me unnerved me in the beginning. What I did not understand irritated me a lot. I could not accept his magnanimous gestures. I wasn’t used to a guy who was actually concerned about me. Don’t get me wrong. I have a great life filled with people who love and respect me but as a woman, having to fight for so many things in life, it wasn’t easy to let someone take control of certain things. He did the kind of things that even the most hard-core feminists would love to have a man do for her but would never admit to it.

(Just because we fight for equal rights and so on doesn’t mean we hate men. We just have a lot of fights to fight and along the way we have somehow become defensive. We don’t want to be vulnerable but we are. And that’s the hard part to accept. So, when a guy really respects you and cares for you, you can’t help but be suspicious to a certain degree.)

As time went by, what I thought were old-fashioned notions became truths. I saw them in his actions. But the sad part is that I did not really appreciate all this until much later. So, I want to thank him for everything he did for me. Thank you.

No comments: